Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the Frequent Asked Questions about Witan so far. We'll be updating and adding to these with any good questions we get, so please do keep an eye on it in the run up to Witan!
If you have a questions that we haven't yet answered here, please feel free to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Witan?
Witan is a trip abroad for UK SSAGO, that takes place every four years. Recently this has included visiting Kandersteg in 2012, and Berlin in 2016
. More about Witans of the past can be found on our history page
. The next Witan is being planned for the summer of 2020, to Kandersteg in Switzerland.
Who can attend Witan?
Any current members of SSAGO, or anyone who has been a member of SSAGO since the 18th February 2018 (the date of the AGM where it was decided to hold Witan).
When is Witan?
Witan will take place from Wednesday 8th to Thursday 16th July 2020. Check out our blog post
on why we chose these dates.
How much will Witan cost?
The final cost of Witan will be £600 to cover the whole 9 days of the trip. Check out our blog post
for a justification and breakdown of the costs.
What will be included in that cost?
The cost of Witan will include;
- Your flights to and from Switzerland from a UK Airport (exact flight details TBC) Option A only
- Transport to and from the Swiss airport to Kandersteg Option A only
- Space in a tent at Kandersteg
- Lots of activities (you can pay extra to do even more if you wish)
- An international SSAGO Necker.
When will I have to pay for Witan?
There are a few different payment schedules that you can choose from for Witan. You can pay in;
- One instalment of £600, paid within three weeks of making my booking
- Four instalments of £150; an initial deposit, paid within three weeks of making your booking, January 2020, Easter 2020 & Early Summer 2020
- Or if you need to pay by a different schedule, you can contact email@example.com to arrange exact details.
What are my options with regards to travelling to and from Witan?
We’re offering two transport options to and from Witan;
- Option A: This will include all of your transport from a UK Airport (exact flight details TBC), to Kandersteg and back
- Option B: You will be responsible for getting you and your personal kit to Kandersteg by yourself, and getting you and your personal kit home afterwards. We will remove the cost that we are charged by our travel providers from your final payment installment(s).
Can I arrive late or depart early so I don’t miss my graduation?
Yes! When you book, you must choose Option B, and email the committee on firstname.lastname@example.org
before booking closes so we can agree your exact arrangements.
Do I need a passport to book onto Witan?
Yes! You’ll need a valid passport to complete your booking (regardless of whether you are Option A or B) and it will need to be valid for at least 6 months after we return from Witan, so if you haven’t got one at the moment, or if it will expire before the 16th January 2021, then you need to get one sorted out as soon as possible. Passport renewals can take up to 3 weeks and first time applications will take at least 6 weeks, so if it looks like your new passport won't get here in time, or if there is a problem please contact us on email@example.com
before booking closes.
How does accommodation work?
The price of Witan includes a space in a shared tent which will be allocated closer to the time of the trip. However, if you would like to discuss the possibility of indoor accommodation, or having an individual tent, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What insurance is provided by Witan, and will I need to take out my own cover?
Insurance provided by Unity (Scout Insurance Services) is included in the cost of Witan.
You must fill out our questions for the insurance company fully and correctly when you make your booking. Failure to do so could invalidate your insurance for the entire trip.
This insurance will cover;
- Personal accident and medical costs
- Personal Belongings up to £1,000 (£250 valuables limit)
- Money and credit card misuse both up to £1,000
- Loss of Passport up to £1,000
- Disruption and Delays
The full details of our insurance cover provided is available here
. You are of course welcome to take out your own personal travel insurance in addition to this.
What are the rules regarding alcohol?
KISC doesn’t allow the drinking of alcohol on site due to the presence of young people. However, there are many places to buy a drink in the village of Kandersteg itself - just don’t fall in the river on your way back!
How can I get involved with the planning of Witan?
Keep an eye on the get involved
page for new opportunities!
Payment for International Participants
For international participants who wish to book onto Witan through SSAGO (Option A), your costs will need to be paid in GBP. There are some useful internet banking sites to exchange your Euros (or other currency) into Pounds:
- Monzo: Mobile phone banking app designed for transferring money abroad. www.monzo.com.
- Transferwise: Transfer money online using this website that can be linked to your online bank account. www.transferwise.com
My question hasn’t been answered here, what should I do?
If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
(and you never know, your question may even end up on here!)
If you experience any issues in the booking process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.